Below is a list of frequently asked questions! View the answers by clicking on the questions.
How to get started
What do I need to get started?
All you need is an internet connection, head/earphones, microphone, webcam and Flash Player (the last 3 items are built into most computers).
We recommend all first-time students to run this quick technical check here which ensures compatability with our learning system. Please ensure you scroll down the page and accept any prompts to update your system as this will allow ease of communication with your teacher during your lesson. If you experience any difficulty, please get in contact with us here.
Can I study anywhere?
Yes! Spanish Marks allows you to study from anywhere with access to an internet connection.
Can I study at any time?
Our private one-to-one classes are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! All you need to do is give us a 48 hour notice to arrange your lesson.
Our group courses have set timings. We have many courses running throughout the year and so you can choose a timing suitable for you at check-out.
For the free introductory lesson, we will make every effort to accommodate your timing preference however, there may be more timing restrictions for the free lesson than for the other lessons.
What time zone do you use?
We work in UK Greenwich Mean Time Zone (GMT) (UTC+00:00), so when scheduling your lesson please use this time zone.
I have not received my confirmation email, after registering for lessons.
Confirmation emails should be received within 5 minutes. However, some email accounts have privacy filters causing messages to be sent directly to your junk mailbox. Please check your junk mailbox and if our email is there, please add the email address to your contacts. If the email is not in your junk mail, please contact us directly here where we can assist you further.
Free introductory lesson
What is the free introductory class?
We recommend all first-time Spanish Marks students have this free 50 minute lesson before starting a course or private lessons. It enables our teachers to assess your learning level so that they can facilitate your learning experience from the level that most suits you in your next class. It also gives you the opportunity to test your webcam and microphone.
To take the free introductory class, simply fill in our quick registration form. We will then email you within 48 hours with details of lesson timings and how to start the lesson.
What happens after I register for the free lesson?
Once you have registered for your free lesson, you will receive a welcome email from us. If you do not receive this within 5 minutes, please check your junk mail. Please take the time to read this as it will prepare you to get the most out of your lesson.
Within the next 48 hours we will activate you on our system, which will allow you to login into your personalised online campus. We will then also send you a separate email with proposed timings for your first lesson and an explanation of how to start your lesson.
If I don't take the free introductory lesson before purchasing lessons, am I still able to use the free lesson later on?
No - the free lesson is designed for first time students to Spanish Marks.
Although you cannot take the free introductory lesson after buying lessons, our loyalty point system does mean that you can earn points whilst learning, and redeem for free lessons in the future.
How long are the lessons?
Our private one-to-one lessons are 50 minutes long. The group sessions consist of two back-to-back 50 minute lessons, making each weekly session 1 hour 40 minutes in total.
What type of Spanish do you teach?
We teach Latin American Spanish. There are very minor differences with Spanish from Spain and Latin America and what you learn will be understood by Spanish speakers across the world.
Our teachers come from Guatemala in Central America. Guatemalans speak clearly and have a fairly neutral accent which makes it easy to understand. This is one of the reasons as why it is one of the most popular countries in the world to learn Spanish.
Will I need to buy study materials?
No, all the materials you need are included in the program and will be shared with you during your lesson.
Will I be given homework?
Yes - at the end of each textbook chapter your teacher will assign homework exercises. This will enable you to get the most out of your lessons as it consolidates what is taught. Your teacher will go over your answers in your next lesson. Please note that depending on each student's pace of learning, you may spend longer than one lesson on each chapter.
How can I view my progress?
After each lesson, your teacher will write a feedback report in the My Learning area within your online campus. You can also find previous lesson material in the My Learning area. Being able to access teachers' assessments and previous lessons is one of the greatest benefits of Spanish Marks, as it allows you to focus on weak areas.
How many students are in the group courses?
Our group courses have a maximum of 3 students. The small group sizes means individual teacher attention can still be given. Group courses will go ahead even if only one student signs up.
What if my teacher is absent?
Spanish Marks considers it important that students' learning schedules are not interrupted and therefore makes every effort to find substitute teachers in cases of teacher absence.
Can I change teachers if I'm not satisfied?
If, for any reason, you are unsatisfied with your teacher, please give us 24 hours notice to organise another teacher to take your class. Please note that this is only possible for the private classes, and not group classes.
Do I need to know any Spanish in order to start my program?
It is not necessary to know any Spanish before starting your lessons. We have specially designed lessons for students of all levels. In addition, all our teachers can speak English and are trained to teach students of all levels.
What is the loyalty point system?
We like to reward our students for their enthusiasm for learning Spanish, which is why we offer loyalty points as you learn. Every 100 loyalty points gives you a free private lesson. An outline of how many points you can earn is here:
Each Single private lesson = 10 points
Each Block of 10 private lessons = 50 points
Each Group course = 100 points
Do I need to know a lot about computers?
No, as long as you have a basic computer user level you should experience no problems with the Spanish Marks system.
Do I need to install software?
We have designed our system so that it is not compulsory for students to install software onto their computers. However, our lessons tend to run more smoothly for Windows users if you download this free app.
In addition, we recommend all first-time students to run this quick technical check here which ensures compatability with our learning system. Please ensure you scroll down the page and accept any prompts to update your system as this will allow ease of communication with your teacher during your lesson. If you experience any difficulty, please get in contact with us here.
If you wish to conduct lessons from an iPad or tablet, please download the following free apps:
What happens if there are communication problems during the class?
Spanish Marks cannot be responsible for breaks in communication arising from technical issues with the student's computer or internet connection. In the event of a fault with our system your teacher will arrange for you to be credited with extra time if necessary.
Payment and cancellation policies
Will I be required to pay in advance?
Yes, all classes must be paid for in advance and can be bought through the Prices page, or once you have logged in.
Can I reschedule my classes?
All private one-to-one classes can be rescheduled, free of charge, if a 24 hours notice is given. If you fail to notify us with at least 24 hours notice you will be billed for the class as normal, and it will not be possible to reschedule that specific class.
If your cancelled class was originally meant to be during the time bracket of 12pm-6am, you must reschedule within that time bracket on any other day.
Due to the nature of group classes which have other students in the lessons, these classes cannot be rescheduled.
What is the cancellation policy?
Once lessons have been bought, we cannot provide a refund. Private lessons can however be rescheduled, with a 24 hours notice.
What happens if I am running late for a lesson?
If you can still make the lesson and there are minutes remaining on it, you can still attend it. If you are responsible for your own lateness, we cannot extend or change the date of the lesson.
Why is there an extra £2 charge on private lessons taken from 6am-12pm?
Since our teachers are based in Guatemala, the timing difference means we pay them extra for lessons taken during this time.
Will you respect my privacy?
Yes, Spanish Marks takes the privacy of our student's personal details seriously and will not give, sell or rent your details to third parties.
How to contact us
How can I get in contact with the Spanish Marks team?
How old do I need to be to participate?
We accept participants of any age. However those under the age of 18, must be accompanied by an adult who takes full responsibility for them before and whilst on their placement.
What are the departure dates?
Departure dates are flexible and can be tailored to your requirements.
How long are the projects for?
Project length of Volunteering and Group Trips can be tailored to your preferences. However, please note that the longer you volunteer for, the more responsibility you can get.
For the internships, we ask for a minimum 3 month commitment as this will enable you to gain more responsibility and often the flexibilty to pursue your own projects.
What type of support is available?
Pre-departure: Our team based in the UK will provide extensive pre-departure support from Day 1. We will assign you a personal placement advisor who will keep in regular contact with you via telephone and emails, helping you prepare for your trip. There will also be an opportunity to meet our UK team face-to-face, in a pre-departure meeting held in London. This will be an opportunity to discuss any questions you may have, and you will also be given information packs about Guatemala and your project.
In Guatemala: we have an on-site team based in Quetzaltenango, in Guatemala, who will meet with you in a welcome induction event once you have landed. Please note that this will be held in the city of Quetzaltenango and particpants must make their own way there (although advice can be given about getting there). Our in-country team will show you around your neighbourhood and help you get set up. During your placement, you will have the support of a supervisor at the host organisation, who will guide you in your project and perform regular reviews.
Is accomodation included?
Whilst accomodation is not included in the placement cost, we can organise options for you including homestays, at cost price with no added fees.
Do I need to know Spanish in order to take part?
Volunteering & Internship Placements: different placement options will require different levels of Spanish, with some having English speaking staff, and others requiring intermediate/advanced level speakers. Please note that whilst there are opportunities for those who do not know any Spanish, knowing some Spanish will help you get the most out of your placement. For this reason, we include 25 pre-departure Spanish lessons for those who take part in the volunteering or internship placements.
Group trips: it is not necessary to know any Spanish as you will have English-speaking tour guides.
What are the Spanish Marks Terms and Conditions?
Welcome to the terms and conditions for the use of the Spanish Marks Website and any Services provided by Spanish Marks (collectively referred to as the “SM Services”). This is an agreement (the “Agreement”) between Spanish Marks and you (“you” or “your”), a user of the SM Services. This Agreement (together with any documents referred to in it) sets out the terms and conditions upon which we will supply the Services and what we can each reasonably expect from your volunteering role.
By accessing and using the SM Services, you agree to be bound by this Agreement. You may print a copy for future reference.
Please read this Agreement:
- Capitalised terms used in these Conditions shall have the following meanings:
“Business Day” means a day other than a Saturday, Sunday or public holiday when banks in London are open for business.
“Cancellation Period” means the five day period for cancellation of the Professional Internship or Group Trip, as set out in clause 19.2.
“Chosen Placement” means the final Proposal chosen by you.
“Confirmation Notice” means the confirmation email that we send to you to confirm that we shall be providing the requested Services, following receipt of full and final payment.
“Deposit” means the initial deposit paid by you in conjunction with the placement of your Order.
“Event Outside Our Control” has the meaning given in clause 23.
“Full Payment” means the total payment for your placement, consisting of deposit and balancing payment.
“Group Trip” has the meaning set out in clause 4.3.
“Host Organisation” means the organisation where you will be volunteering or conducting your internship.
“Minor” means a person under the age of 18.
“Order” means the order placed by you on our website which includes your details and which Services you wish to apply for.
“Partners” mean third party organisations we work with to connect international volunteers with community initiatives seeking support.
“Placement Advisor” means your dedicated Spanish Marks representative assigned to assist and help you with your Proposal and the Services before you leave for Guatemala.
“Proposal” means the trip options put together by your Placement Advisor following the receipt of your Enquiry Form and the introductory telephone conversation, where we get a better idea of your trip preferences. For the Volunteer Placements only, we will require the receipt of the initial deposit before we can send you the Proposal.
“Professional Internship” has the meaning set out in clause 4.3.
“Services” means the volunteer, cultural and Spanish Language services listed on the Website which we may supply.
“Spanish Marks” is the trading name of Yadgar Languages Ltd, a limited liability company registered in England and Wales, with company number 08860553 and registered office at 7 Redbridge Lane East, Ilford, Essex, United Kingdom, IG4 5ET.
“Spanish Marks Representatives” means Spanish Marks and our affiliates, directors, employees, agents or representatives.
“Volunteer Coordinator” means your point of contact at the host organisation.
“Volunteering Placement” has the meaning set out in clause 4.3.
“Website” means www.spanishmarks.com.
- About us
- The Website, and all content used, developed or arising out of the Website, is owned and operated by Spanish Marks.
- Eligibility to participate in an international placement
- You must be 18 years of age or over to be eligible to submit an Order and apply for use of the SM Services.
- All minors must be accompanied on their Chosen Placement by an adult who takes full responsibility for them before and whilst on their placement.
- International Placement Agreement
- We appreciate you applying to work and volunteer with us.. We hope that you will find your experience enjoyable and rewarding.
- Your role as an applicant of a Volunteering Placement, Professional Internship or individual on a Group Trip starts on the date agreed between yourself and the organisation.
- Your Proposal will set out whether you are undertaking:
- Volunteering Placement – You will be placed into an organisation, which specialises in your chosen field.. We are flexible about your start and end dates, as well as the length of the placement (subject to the needs of the organisation and the Partners organising the placement).
- Professional Internship – You will commit to spending at least three (3) months in an organisation of your chosen field. Following the completion of your Professional Internship, you will get a certificate of completion and letter of recommendation in relation to your internship.
- Group Trip – We will organise trips that encompass cultural, recreational activities and community service work tailored to suit you. After submission of your Order we will present you with a tailored itinerary based on your preferences.
- We expect you to perform your role to the best of your ability and to follow our procedures and standards. By entering into this Agreement you agree to comply with our Partner’s Behaviour Guidelines for Volunteers, and our Partner’s Code of Conduct for Volunteers Interacting with Children. They may require you to sign and return these policies to them prior to the date of commencement of your Chosen Placement.
- As part of your Chosen Placement, you may need to sign other policies and/or contracts provided by your specific Host Organisation once details of your Chosen Placement have been finalised. These policies and/or contracts will outline what will be required from you during your Chosen Placement.
We will provide you with an optional induction, to be held in the city of Quetzaltenango (or such other place as directed by us from time to time), explaining in detail how our Partners, who have an established network of local organisations, will assist you in your Chosen Placement and giving you tips on day-to-day living. In accordance with clause 8.2 below, participants will be expected to make their own way to Quetzaltenango and pay for their own accommodation, although we can provide advice on transport and accommodation.
- Spanish Lessons
- As part of the Services, we provide all individuals taking part in the Volunteering Placements and Professional Internships with an intensive Spanish language course to assist them to meet the standards expected. This is not included for individuals taking part in the Group Trips since prior knowledge of Spanish is not needed for the Group Trips.
- Pre-departure Spanish lessons will only begin once we have received the Full Payment from you, and are required to be completed before your departure for Guatemala.
- Spanish lessons are carried out exclusively online and dispensed by our experienced qualified Spanish tutors.
- Students who have already taken 25 Spanish lessons with Spanish Marks will have the option of forgoing these pre-departure Spanish lessons and paying a reduced placement price in accordance with clause 14.
- Supervision And Support
- Your main point of contact whilst you are in Guatemala is your Volunteer Coordinator of which contact details will be provided.
- Spanish Marks will provide you with pre-departure support and a welcome induction in Guatemala, where advice will be given on living in Guatemala. However, Spanish Marks will not be responsible for you, whilst you are in Guatemala.
- If you have any complaints about the Chosen Placement, we encourage you to liaise directly with your Host Organisation. Spanish Marks will not be responsible for any issues you might have with the Chosen Placement once you have started it.
- Please give your Volunteer Coordinator as much notice as possible if you are unable to volunteer when expected.
- We have no liability for and will not reimburse you for any expenses incurred by you in connection with your entry into this Agreement and conducting your Chosen Placement.
- Flights, accommodation costs, costs of obtaining any necessary visa, any travel or medical insurance, vaccinations, airport transfers, in-country travel costs in Guatemala, your meals whilst in Guatemala and any other incidental costs relating to your trip are not included as part of our Services. You must cover all of these costs personally and arrange them yourself. Whilst these are not included in the price of the placement, we can offer advice, including homestay options and travelling within Guatemala.
- Medical and Travel Insurance
- You are expected to take out adequate medical and travel insurance cover for yourself while you are undertaking your Chosen Placement and any work or volunteering approved and authorised by us. You are responsible for evaluating and determining the kind of insurance coverage that you should have, including coverage for emergency medical treatment and/or disaster evacuation.
- We will not provide you with insurance of any kind or for any period, including to cover the period before, during or after your Chosen Placement or at any time in connection with this Agreement.
- Third Party Partnership
- We will be working with our Partners to finalise your trip details and placement opportunities. By entering this Agreement you agree to us co-operating with our Partner in arranging your Chosen Placement.
In the course of conducting your Chosen Placement, you may have access to confidential information relating to Spanish Marks, Spanish Marks Representatives, our Partners, your Volunteer Coordinator, or our clients. We do not give you permission to use this information for any purpose or disclose this information to any person either before during or after your Chosen Placement and Agreement with us.
- Release And Waiver Of Liability
- We encourage you to review travel warnings regarding Guatemala prior to planning your trip, as there may be occasional civil unrest.
- In certain parts of Guatemala you may experience living and working conditions as precarious and potentially hazardous. Whilst Guatemala is a beautiful country, you may face poverty-stricken parts of the country during your Chosen Placement.
- There have been instances of accidents, theft, robbery, assault and other injuries caused to tourists in Guatemala.
- We advise you to seek to reduce your exposure to risk whilst in Guatemala and we will provide you with a list of guidance and behavioural guidance before you arrive in Guatemala. You should be aware of the personal risks that are potentially involved with taking part in a placement in Guatemala.
- We cannot be held responsible for your health and safety during your stay in Guatemala (or anything that happens to you that is not a direct result of our gross negligence), or whilst you are travelling to and from Guatemala. We cannot be held responsible for weather, political, terrorist or any other events that are beyond our control, which may impact you during your placement.
- You agree to follow all the guidance and rules or additional oral instructions as set out by us, or given by our Partners or Volunteer Coordinator once you arrive in Guatemala.
- The use of illegal drugs is strictly prohibited and will result in immediate dismissal from the Chosen Placement with no refund.
- Subject to clause 21, you hereby release, hold harmless and forever discharge us, our directors, associates, employees, professional advisers, Placement Advisors, Volunteer Coordinators and Partners from any and all liability, claims and demands of whatever kind or nature, either in law or equity which arise as a direct, indirect or as a consequence of entering into this Contract.
- Due to the risks involved, you are reminded that you should ensure that you have adequate medical, health and travel insurance prior to travelling.
- We reserve the right to remove any person from any placement at any time, if that person’s actions or behaviour impede the operation of the placement or the Services, or infringe on the rights, welfare and enjoyment of other participants, the Partners and/or the Spanish Marks Representatives. Anyone removed from a placement in accordance with this clause will not be entitled to a refund, discount or any form of referral from the Spanish Marks Representatives.
- Ending your Placement
We ask that you give your Host Organisation a minimum of one week’s notice in writing if you want to terminate your Chosen Placement, so as to minimise disruption for them. Subject to clause 15, once you have started your Chosen Placement in Guatemala, no refunds can be provided for shortened trips.
- The prices for our Services are quoted in your Proposal.
- Prices and any other charges quoted in the Proposal are based on performance of the Services in the United Kingdom unless otherwise specified.
- Unless otherwise stated, the prices quoted include VAT.
- As a compulsory part of the Volunteering Placement and Professional Internship placements, unless you have already undertaken at least 25 Spanish lessons with us and we are satisfied with your Spanish language skills, you will be required to undertake an intensive Spanish Language course prior to starting your Chosen Placement. This does not apply to the Group Trips, where prior knowledge of Spanish is not necessary.
- In the event that you have completed the required 25 Spanish lessons with Spanish Marks as set out above, the price for our Services will be reduced by the amount determined by us as set out in your Proposal.
- If you can demonstrate a level of fluency in Spanish that we in our sole discretion determine is sufficient to attend a Volunteering Placement or a Professional Internship, the price for our Services will be reduced by the amount determined by us as set out in your Proposal.
- Payment of the Deposit can be made on our website with any major credit or debit card or securely via Paypal.
- If your Chosen Placement is a Volunteer Placement, the Deposit is non-refundable. For Internships and Group Trips there is a five day Cancellation Period, subject always to the provisions of this Agreement, in particular those set out in clause 8.
- Payment of the Deposit does not tie you into paying the remaining balance. The remaining balance will only be payable if you decide to go ahead with the placement.
- If you decide to go ahead with the placement, the remaining balance, as set out in your Proposal, is due and payable within 30 days of receiving your Proposal.
- Other than as a result of technical difficulties, non-payment of the remaining balance within the 30 day timeframe entitles us to terminate this Agreement and declare the Agreement and Chosen Placement void for non-payment.
- We shall contact you should any problems occur with the authorisation of your card.
- Order process and formation of a contract
- All orders are subject to acceptance and availability. If we are unable to find a placement for you due to matters such as unavailability or an Event Outside Our Control or because we have identified a mistake in the description of the Services or the price stated by us, we will notify you. We will not proceed with the order and will refund any sums you have paid us.
- Any Order you place for the Services constitutes an offer to purchase the Services from us.
- You agree that if we contact you to acknowledge receipt of your Order, such communication shall not amount to our acceptance of your offer to purchase the Services.
- Delivery by us to you of a Confirmation Notice in relation to your Order will constitute acceptance of the offer contained in that Order.
- If you think that there is a mistake in the Confirmation Notice or if you wish to make any changes, please contact us to discuss this. If you request a change, we will tell you if that is possible and about any changes to the price, delivery or performance dates or any other changes that we need to make as a result of your request. We will ask you if you wish to go ahead with the change.
- We may make:
- changes to this Agreement as a result of changes in any relevant laws and regulatory requirements;
- changes to this Agreement as a result of changes in how we accept payment from you;
- changes in the amount payable by you to the extent of any changes in the amount of VAT included in the price or payable in relation to the price; or
- changes to this Agreement as a result of changes in our company policy and practice.
- If we make any changes in accordance with clause 6 we will give you written notice of the changes before we supply the Services.
- Performance of Services
- When we accept the order, we will liaise with you to confirm the details of the placement.
- If an Event Outside Our Control prevents us from performing the Services within a reasonable time from the date we accept the order, clause 23 will apply.
- Spanish Marks reserves the right to refuse acceptance of any application or participant.
- If we ask you to provide us with information in order for us to provide you with the Services, you must provide us with complete and accurate information by the date we request that you provide it by, otherwise:
- you must pay us on demand any reasonable sum we charge you to cover any extra work that is necessary as a result of you providing incomplete or inaccurate information.
- you must pay us on demand any additional costs incurred by us in providing the Services to you resulting from you not providing such information to us by the date we have requested.
- we may suspend the Services by giving you written notice unless you agree to pay such extra costs.
- in the event that despite our reasonable efforts we are unable to obtain the requested information from you and are therefore unable to supply the Services, we may end this Agreement with you. We will refund you any money you have paid less our reasonable costs incurred in attempting to perform this Agreement..
- We will not be liable for any delay or non-performance due to your failure to provide us with complete and accurate information by the time we have requested.
- If we suspend the Services under this clause, you do not have to pay for the Services while they are suspended, but you will remain liable to pay any invoices we have already sent you for Services we have already performed.
- If there is a problem with the Services
- If the Services are not provided with reasonable care and skill you should provide us with details of the problem as soon as reasonably possible.
- As a service user, you have legal rights in relation to Services not carried out with reasonable skill and care. Nothing in this Agreement will affect your legal rights.
- Cancelling your Contract and returns
- Cancellation of Volunteer Placements
- All payments made for the Volunteer Placements, including the Deposit and the balancing payment, are non-refundable, irrespective of any cancellations.
- Cancellation of Internships and Group Trips
- For placements with Professional Internships and Group Trips, there is a Cancellation Period of five days starting with and including the day you pay the Deposit. If placements for Professional Internships or Group Trips are cancelled within this time-frame, the Deposit will be refunded.
- If you wish us to begin to supply the Services during the Cancellation Period, you must request us to do this and you must acknowledge that you will lose the right to cancel once the Services have been fully performed.
- Unless the Services have been fully performed under the Contract in accordance with your request and acknowledgement referred to in clause 2.2, you may cancel the Contract within the Cancellation Period by notifying us of your decision to cancel.
- You will lose your right to cancel the Contract once the Services have been fully performed in accordance with your request and acknowledgement.
- You may notify us of your decision to cancel by contacting us by telephone or by sending us a cancellation email or by posting:
- the fully completed cancellation form available upon request, or
- a statement that you wish to cancel with your name, address, the name or a description of the Services and your order reference number.
- If you cancel the Contract after we have begun the supply of the Services in accordance with your request, you must pay us for the Services we supplied to you before we received notice of your cancellation.
- Refunds on cancellation for Internships and Group Trips
- So long as you are entitled to cancel and have complied with your obligations under clause 19, we will refund you the balance of the price you paid to us after deducting:
- the value of the Services we supplied before we received your cancellation notice together with VAT payable in respect of that value.
- If the Contract is for the supply of services only or for the supply of goods and services with the main purpose being the supply of services, we will refund you the sum in clause 3.1 within 14 days of our receipt of your cancellation notice.
- We will refund you the sum in clause 3.1 using the same method of payment used by you, unless you agree to a refund by a different method of payment.
- No refunds can be made after the Cancellation Period. In addition, once the balancing payment has been made, no refunds can be made.
- So long as you are entitled to cancel and have complied with your obligations under clause 19, we will refund you the balance of the price you paid to us after deducting:
- Cancellation of Volunteer Placements
- Liability and indemnity
- We have a duty to supply Services to you that conform to this Agreement including a duty to ensure that the Services are carried out with reasonable care and skill.
- Nothing in this Agreement affects your legal rights if these duties are not complied with. You can obtain advice about your legal rights from the Citizens Advice Bureau if you need to.
- In no event shall Spanish Marks Representatives be liable to you for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, punitive or consequential damages, whether based on warranty, contract, tort or any other legal theory, and whether or not Spanish Marks Representatives are advised of the possibility of such damages, resulting from or arising out of this Agreement, your Chosen Placement or your relationship with Spanish Marks Representatives.
- You agree to indemnify Spanish Marks Representatives against any and all liability arising directly or indirectly out of the Chosen Placement and your acceptance of and continued conduct under this Agreement. Furthermore, you agree not to hold Spanish Marks Representatives liable for any act or omission of any of its Partners, Volunteer Coordinators, clients or third parties. Notwithstanding this Agreement or any other agreement, the liability of the Spanish Marks Representatives shall not in aggregate exceed the Deposit and price set out in your Proposal as actually paid by you.
- Notwithstanding the above, we cannot exclude or limit our responsibility to you for:
- death or personal injury resulting from our negligence or the negligence of our employees; or
- fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
- Subject to clause 23, we will not be responsible for any delay in performing the Services if:
- we have asked you to provide specified information that is necessary for performing the Services; and
- you have failed to provide complete and accurate information or you have provided such information later than the date we have asked you to supply it by.
- Our rights of termination
- We want ability to terminate at our reasonable discretion.
- Notwithstanding above, we reserve the right to terminate the Contract by writing to you if you fail to make any payment to us when due.
- Events outside our control
- Except for our obligations under this clause, we shall not be responsible for delays or failures in delivery or performance of our obligations, or those of your Volunteer Coordinator, to you resulting from any act, event, omission, failure or accident outside our reasonable control (“Event Outside Our Control”).
- We will take all reasonable steps to minimise a delay in performing our obligations to you which arises from an Event Outside our Control.
- We will promptly notify you of any Event Outside Our Control which prevents us from or delays us in performing our obligations to you, giving details of it and (where possible) the extent and likely duration of any delay.
- Our performance will be deemed to be suspended for the period that the Event Outside Our Control continues.
- You may end the Contract after we have notified you of an Event Outside Our Control and we will then refund you any money you have paid to us under the Contract for the Services which we have been unable to deliver to you.
- Please be aware that the SM Services and any content found within are offered on an “as-is” basis. We, the Spanish Marks Representatives, our Partners and clients, do not endorse, make any representation or warranty of any kind, express or implied, as to the SM Services, and may not verify any of our users or any user content submitted by users, Partners, Spanish Marks Representatives or clients, found through the SM Services.
- You agree that any information may be inaccurate, unsubstantiated or possibly even incorrect. You agree to release us from any liability that we may have to in relation to your use of the SM Services. By using the SM Services, you agree that any legal remedy or liability that you seek to obtain for actions or omissions of other users or other third parties will be limited to a claim against the particular users or other third parties who caused you harm and you agree not to attempt to impose liability on, or seek any legal remedy from Spanish Marks with respect to such actions or omissions.
- Use of personal data
You authorise us to process and transmit your name, address and other personal information supplied by you (including updated information) to:
- supply the Services to you;
- transmit the payment and delivery information provided by you during the order process (included any updated information) for the purpose of obtaining authorisation from your card issuer;
- validate your name, address and other personal information supplied by you during the order process against appropriate third party databases including the card issuer, registered credit reference agencies and fraud prevention agencies;
- inform you of similar Services we provide, but you may contact us at any time to request that we stop informing you of these; and
- provide your contact details and personal information to our Partner and any other organisation that requires your details for the purposes of arranging your placement.
- Third party rights
Except for our Spanish Marks Representatives, a person who is not a party to this Agreement has no right under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 (the “Act”) to enforce any term of this Agreement but this does not affect any right or remedy of a third party that exists or is available apart from that Act.
- Intellectual Property
The names ”www.spanishmarks.com” and “Spanish Marks”, the design of the SM Services along with Spanish Marks created text, writings, images, templates, scripts, graphics, interactive features and the trademarks, marks and logos contained therein (“IP Rights”), are owned by or licensed to Spanish Marks. The IP Rights are subject to copyright and other intellectual property rights. Spanish Marks reserves all rights not expressly granted in and to the SM Services. You agree to not engage in the use, copying, or distribution of the IP Rights or anything else contained within the SM Services unless we have given you express written permission.
- Other important terms
- We reserve the right to change the domain address of this Website and any services, products, product prices, product specifications and availability at any time.
- If any provision of these terms and conditions is held by any competent authority to be invalid or unenforceable in whole or in part, the validity of the other provisions of this Agreement and the remainder of the provision in question will not be affected.
- If we fail, at any time during the term of this Agreement, to insist upon strict performance of any of your obligations under it or any of these terms and conditions, or if we fail to exercise any of the rights or remedies to which we are entitled under this Agreement, this shall not constitute a waiver of such rights or remedies and shall not relieve you from compliance with your obligations.
- A waiver by us of any default shall not constitute a waiver of any subsequent default.
- Any provision of this Agreement which by their nature should survive termination, including, without limitation, indemnity, limitations of liability and confidentiality, shall survive termination.
- You are not permitted to assign your rights under this Agreement without our prior written agreement. We are permitted to assign our rights under this Agreement to any other party at our sole discretion.
- We reserve the right to update and amend this Agreement at our sole discretion and without notice, provided that at all times a copy of this Agreement will be available on the Website.
- Governing law
This Agreement and any non-contractual obligations arising out of or in connection with it shall be governed by the laws of England and Wales. However, if you live outside England and Wales but within the EU, you are always entitled to any compulsory consumer protections applicable in the country where you live.
- Governing jurisdiction
You can bring legal proceedings in respect of the Services in the courts of England and Wales.
What types of organisations do you work with?
We are connected to over 700 organisations in Guatemala who are all socially-aware and passionate about the development of this country. The types of organisations range from charities, social enterprises, NGOs and local businesses. All the organisations have been fully-vetted and offer well-structured placement opportunities.
Where are the host organisations based in Guatemala?
The host organisations are based throughout Guatemala, from the Highlands to the beaches and villages. Your placement advisor will work with you to understand if you have any preferences to where you would like to be based in Guatemala, and tailored options can be provided.
How many hours a week are the volunteering placements?
We work with organisations which have both full-time and part-time placements, and can present you with options for either.
Any other questions?